Sunday, April 26, 2009

Surabaya - Indonesia

On the cool & windy morning 11 November 2007, I was on my way to Surabaya,Indonesia. The 2 hour 45 minutes flight was smooth and we landed safely in Sidoearjo International airport,Surabaya. The trip to hotel on the taxi takes approximately 45 minutes. Our hotel, Weta International hotel is a 3 star hotel which is quite wear off. Fortunately our rooms were okay and clean. The first day of our 4 days trip in surabaya took us to the House of Sampoerna, The kembang jepun street (china town) & Surabaya newest & largest shopping- Pakuwon supermall. On the second day of our travel we went to the Kebun Binatang surabaya (zoo), the submarine monument, Surabaya oldest shopping mall- Plaza surabaya, Plaza Tunjungan-Surabaya most crowded shopping mall & Surabaya very own Tanggulangin which is an area for leather industry. lots of good bargain for leather products. I bought two pairs or leather shoe, one wallet & one ladies handbag. The night was quiet as most of the nightspot in town were close for the Muslim fasting month. We manage to have some fun watching tv and drinking in our hotel rooms.

The next day we are on our way to Surabaya most famous place-Gunung Bromo. Bromo is an active volcano and last reported exploded in 2004. The journey to bromo took us to tretes ( a weekend retreat for Surabaya folk to unwind their past time and relax). Our next stop is malang- an area similar to our Malaysia very own cameron highlands. We visited the Kusuma Agro wisata which is an area for strawberry & apple plantation. I have my first chance to pick up an apple myself. the experience is a memorable one. The air in this area was so cooling and we enjoy our time here. I wonder how great it would be if we could overnight in this small & peaceful town.

Nevertheless we reach the base camp of bromo around 12.30am. We immediately surrounded by a group of men trying to sell us the infamous bromo hat,gloves and scarf. I bought a few piece as souvenir. We rent a small room for a short nap as we need to board a jeep to Penanjakan view point where we can view the breath taking and magnificent sunrise of bromo. Not to our disappointment, the view was indeed breath taking and magnificient! By far the best sunrise I have ever seen in my life yet! We reach the foothill of bromo around 6.30 a.m. and a further 30 minutes walk or a 10 minutes horse ride will take you to the staircase to heaven(252 steps before you reach the top of bromo) At last we step our foot on bromo! It's worth all the hassle and long drive here. it's just too much to say about bromo! we leave bromo with a heavy heart and head back to Surabaya.

To spend our last few hours in Surabaya, we went for last minutes shopping at BG Junction-newly opened shopping Mall! I managed to bought a ring that cost me 45,000 rupiah which I am still wearing it till today! We reached home at night and we all agreed that the trip is nevertheless a memorable one even without the taste of some nightlife in Surabaya!



"the House Of Sampoerna"



"the fiery komodo dragon in Kebun Binatang Surabaya"



"The famous Pro Steak House in Surabaya"



"the Kusuma Agro Wisata resort in the town of Malang"



" I can't believe it when I was told by my driver there is an apple farm in Malang"



"Bromo sunrise view from Penanjakan view point"



"it's freaking cold out there! Having a cuppa of coffee inside a tea stall with 2 of my friends"



"the sea of cloud and the sea of tourist"



" the active mount bromo, mount batok & mount semeru"



"staircase to heaven....:)"



"I've conquered mt.bromo at last"



"our farewell lunch in BG Junction....Papa Rons Pizza...."

I have change my perception of Indonesia after my first visit to Surabaya...the people is nice, helpful & thankful.........even though some places is freaking dirty and dusty.....overall Indonesia is a safe place for tourist!

No comments: